Wednesday, April 2, 2025
spot_imgspot_img

Top 5 This Week

spot_img

Related Posts

Kevin Cronin Says He Was ‘Falsely Accused’ of Turning Down REO Speedwagon Reunion Show. Bruce Hall Still Wants Him There

The bandmates went back and forth in a series of Facebook comments after an Illinois reunion concert was announced for June 14 without Cronin

Bruce Hall and Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon
Bruce Hall in February 2014; Kevin Cronin in January 2024. Photo: Joey Foley/Getty; Scott Dudelson/Getty

Which members of REO Speedwagon will appear at the band’s upcoming reunion show?

In December, the “Can’t Fight This Feeling” band announced its retirement from touring due to a rift between frontman Kevin Cronin and bassist Bruce Hall. However, a “concert retrospective” featuring Hall and various other former REO Speedwagon members — but not Cronin — has been announced for June 14 in Champaign, Illinois. Now, the two musicians are sharing different perspectives on the matter.

The upcoming concert, featuring Hall, Neal Doughty, Alan Gratzer, Bruce Hall, Terry Luttrell, Mike Murphy and Steve Scorfina, was announced on March 18 as a celebration of “where it all began” and a tribute to late band members Greg Richrath and Gregg Philbin. A poster for the event also teases “special guests.”

In a comment on a Facebook post promoting an upcoming performance with his own band, Cronin told a fan on March 27, “The organizers of the Champaign event could have picked a date when all of the former members of REO were available to participate.”

REO Speedwagon at the Summerfest Music Festival 2024
REO Speedwagon in June 2024. Weston Rich/Billboard/Getty 

“Instead they chose June 14, 2025, a date where it was public knowledge that I was previously committed to perform with Styx and Kevin Cronin Band in Bend, Oregon,” continued the musician, who’s touring North America from April 25 through Aug. 24. “Bottom line, I am being asked to participate in an event on a date when I can’t possibly be there in-person. And then being falsely accused of turning down the invitation.”

“I am deeply disturbed and hurt by all of this,” added Cronin. “After all I have done to help build the legacy of REO Speedwagon, I feel I have earned and deserve to be included in any event honoring that legacy. Instead, I have been knowingly excluded.”

He concluded the comment, “PS. 35-year REO veterans Dave Amato and Bryan Hitt were not even shown the respect of being invited to the Champaign event.”

Hall responded to Cronin’s comments in his own Facebook post. “Happy to set the record straight. We were all (including Kevin) invited to participate in this event in early January. Kevin states he’s been ‘falsely accused’ of turning down the invitation. I’ve seen no where it’s been said he turned it down and I know he’s been asked to participate virtually. I truly hope he does,” he wrote.

“This event was created to provide the founding fathers, original singers and classic REO lineup a chance to reunite and say a proper goodbye. A chance to honor Gary Richrath and Gregg Philbin’s memory,” continued the bass player. “Most importantly, proceeds are going to the REO Speedwagon fund for rare GU Cancer Research at Moffitt Cancer Center. The hospital that saved my son’s life. How anyone can be ‘deeply disturbed and hurt’ by this is beyond me.”

Hall’s post concluded, “Neal, Alan and I are not being paid. We are thrilled to have this amazing chance to rock together one last time and raise money and awareness for such a wonderful cause.”

REO Speedwagon 1979
REO Speedwagon in 1979. Chris Walter/WireImage/Getty

In a statement to PEOPLE following Hall’s latest comment, Cronin says, “My June 14th Kevin Cronin Band concert with Styx in Bend, Oregon was announced long before the invitations for the Champaign event were sent out.”

He continues, “This scheduling conflict prevents me from participating in the event, either in-person or virtually. That being said, I wish them all the best in fundraising for the Moffitt Cancer Center.”

In September 2024, the rock band shared a Facebook post announcing the end of their touring career. “To our fans: Bruce has intended to be Back On the Road Again by now. If it were up to just him, he’d be back on tour… but it’s not up to just him. The consensus opinion was that he had not recovered sufficiently to be able to perform at the level the fans have come to expect,” began the statement.

The post continued, “Bruce respected that opinion and is grateful that Matt has been around to keep the Wagon rolling through the summer tour. Bruce never had any intention of retiring or walking away from the band, fans, and crew he has loved for almost 50 years.”

“For Kevin’s part, he too has never had any intention of leaving the band, and the fans and crew mean the world to him, as well,” added the band. “Due to this complex situation, irreconcilable differences arose between Bruce and Kevin. So, it is with great sadness that we announce REO Speedwagon will cease touring effective January 1, 2025.”

The note concluded with “Neal, Kevin and Bruce” showing their appreciation for their fans’ “loyal support” over the years.

Popular Articles